Internship or Master Thesis Student - Proton Exchange Membrane Development and Testing
At PowerCell, we develop, manufacture and sell fuel cell stacks and systems for various applications. The continuous improvement of efficiency, performance and durability is very important. The proton exchange membrane (PEM) plays an important role and the understanding of the membrane´s chemical and mechanical properties become necessary. For the purpose of an efficient support of our engineering process from early development phase until implementation and integration in customer use-cases, Powercell is about to develop fundamental and predictive PEM characterization tools, without the need for extensive in Situ experiments.
We are therefore looking for an Internship or Master Thesis Student to support us in the development process of our fuel cell membrane evaluation capabilities.
Possible topics for the internship/master thesis work are:
- Development and establishment of accurate and reproducible test methods for proper analysis of the membranes.
- Evaluate chemical properties of the membranes.
- Evaluate the membrane properties influencing the fuel cell performance such as proton conductivity and hydrogen permeation.
- Evaluate the chemical durability, mechanical durability and combined chemical and mechanical durability of the membranes.
- Investigate relations between the membranes’ chemical and mechanical properties, performance and durability.
- Theoretical performance assessment of PEM proton conductivity.
- Successful participation in a M.Sc. program or similar in chemical / process engineering, mechanical engineering, technical physics or similar.
- Self-driven, highly engaged and motivated personality, with a strong problem-solving approach
- Fluent in English, both oral and written
Additional desirable qualifications:
- Knowledge of proton exchange membranes
- Material science background
- PEM fuel cell and fuel cell stack knowledge and/or experimental experience
- Practical experience of laboratory work
- Experience from an international and multi-language environment
- Practical experience from internships
- Swedish language skills
We are looking for a student starting in the Autumn 2022. State in the application the time period (start date and end date) you are available for the position, if you are looking for an internship or a master thesis, and if you are available full time or part time. We are looking forward to receiving your application.